Consultation on Specifications for the Approval of Software Controlled Electricity and Gas Metering Devices and Specifications Relating to Event Loggers for Electricity and Gas Metering Devices
This consultation will be of primary interest to electricity and natural gas metering device manufacturers and, to some degree, meter owners (utilities) and organizations that have been accredited by Measurement Canada to verify electricity and natural gas meters. The consultation ends September 30, 2011.
In March of 2010, the software security Joint Working Group (JWG) was created by Measurement Canada. This JWG was composed of a balanced representation from utilities, meter manufacturers and Measurement Canada representatives. The JWG was mandated to develop specifications which would establish the meter design, construction, performance, sealing and security requirements for the approval of software controlled electricity and gas meters. The terms of reference for the JWG included the need to base the developed specifications on document D-31 of the International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML): "General requirements for software controlled measuring instruments".
During the developmental process, it became evident to the JWG that additional specifications would be required to address event loggers. As such, the software security JWG presents the following two proposed specifications for public consultation:
- Specifications for the Approval of Software Controlled Electricity and Gas Metering Devices
- Specifications Relating to Event Loggers for Electricity and Gas Metering Devices
Although these specifications have been published as two separate consultation documents, interested stakeholders should review both documents, as some parts are interrelated.
The proposed specifications prescribe:
- the information to be submitted by an applicant in order to receive Measurement Canada's approval of a software controlled device;
- the requirements to be met in order to update legally relevant or legally non-relevant software in a device;
- the requirements to be met in order to modify legally relevant parameters in a configurable device; and
- the requirements to be met in order to receive Measurement Canada approval of an event logger and the circumstances in which an event logger may be used to augment or replace existing sealing requirements in approved metering devices or systems.
Measurement Canada is soliciting comments from the public and industry stakeholders on the above proposed specifications. Comments may be submitted on either or both of the specifications. If comments are sent on both, they may be included in the same document or in two separate documents.
All written comments on the proposed specifications must be received by the undersigned by September 30, 2011, in order to be considered.
Industry Canada, Government of Canada
Charlottetown PE C1A 4L2
- Date modified: